Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Doing The Greatest Voice Work Overseas - Can't Get Arrested Here!

I have been auditioning for McDonald's on and off, for the last 10 years. In the voice over world the Golden Arches are considered the holy grail. Golden arches = Gold in your pocket especially on a national scale. See how that works? Unfortunately, I haven't been able to crack the code to nail a read for one.
Then out of the blue this morning I receive and email from a production company in Belgium. Seems McDonald's is unveiling a new burger over there called the CBO - Chicken, Bacon and Onion.
And with no fanfare, no agents or manager involvement, no negotiation, no back and forth but simply based on my past experience with this company and my demo. They hand me the job. Just like that! Amazing. Last week I did Panasonic overseas and the week before Nokia. Huh. All huge jobs by American standards, yet overseas it's business as usual.
Remember a time when rock bands couldn't make it in the States? They'd go overseas...Japan, Germany, Italy, Scotland...and make it big! That's sort of where I feel I am with my career.
Can't get arrested here...but I'm Don frigging LaFontaine in France, Scotland and parts of Thailand. Go figure.
Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. Hey how about some networking? Got some hot contacts in London and India to trade...lemme know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm an African American female voice talent with a pretty extensive resume looking to do some networking and to get some overseas work.

    Let a sista know something!

    ReplyDelete